1. WORLWIDE – French is far from being the language of France only : more than 200million people speak French around the globe. French is the main language or one of the main languages in more than 30 countries across the five continents. It is also the second language in the world by the number of countries that have adopted it as an official or administrative language.
2. STUDIES – France is the third most popular destination for studies. 2,78,000 international students visited us last year. You could easily choose Paris to settle down; the French capital has been named “best student city in the world” by QS, the education company, in 2013. But remember that knowing of French will enable you to manage your daily life, meet new peopleand create real opportunities.
3. CAREER – India is a big country and French companies are among the biggest investors in India. The brands “Renault”, “Danone”, or “Michelin” may sound familiar. This is not surprising as there are 350 French companies in India. They are regularly looking for employees who can communicate in French. If you have the world in sight, French will also benefit you as India is more ans more present in Africa where French is largely spoken.
4. TOURISM – The Eiffel Tower stands just a few hours away from the Taj Mahal. 83 million people visited France in 2013, making it the first tourist destination in the world. They had a chance to try French food, wines, perfumes, fashion, cafés, and the joie de vivre…
5. CULTURE – The French heritage, its monuments, its countryside and art is widely recognised. Are you fond of reading ? France won more Nobel prizes fo Literature than any country in the world. French literature is extremely productive and multicultural. French is the second most translated language in the world as far as books are concerned. Do you like movies better ? Then you could try French cinema. Today France is the third biggest film market in the world just after India.
6. NETWORK – French is taught in every country around the world, France has the largest network of cultural institutions. Planning to start learning French in India ? You can rely on the cultural network of France in the country.
7. SCIENCE – France happens to be one of the major contributors to science with 13 Nobel prizes for physics, 13 for medicine, 8 for chemistry and 11 Fields medals in mathematics. France was also ranked third in the world and first in Europe for the technological innovation of its companies and research centres in 2013 according to the “Top 100 Global Innovation” ranking from Thomson Reuters.
8. MEDIA – French is one of the most used languages on the internet. French is also the third language on the collaborative knowledge website Wikipedia. TV5, France 24,Radio France Internationale, AFP_ French medias cover all major topics in the world and give you a new way of looking at the world.
9. INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS – French is one of the two official languages of the United Nations, the UNESCO, the inter nation Olympic Committee, the international Red Cross, etc… Knowing French is essential for a career in an international organization. Over one-third of the UN’s members are part of the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie (International Organisation of French-speaking countries).The OIF is composed of 77 states and governments ans is active in international relations. Human Rights, education, research, cooperation and sustainable development.
10. MORE – learning French will help you learn other languages, especially Romance languages, such as Spanish, Italian, Portugese or Romanian. English speakers should also know that French has provided more than 50% of the current English vocabulary.